Prof suspended after sexual harassment complaint

/

SRINAGAR, Feb : The Government has ordered the suspension of an Associate Professor at Govt College for Women (GCW), Nawakadal Srinagar after a sexual harassment complaint was filed against him by the students.

In this regard, the Higher Education Department has ordered his suspension and directed the concerned to hold an inquiry into the matter.

The order issued stated that the students of UG 1st Semester, Travel and Tourism subject of Govt. College for Women, Nawakadal, Srinagar lodged a complaint against Dr Rafiq Peerzada, Associate Professor (Travel & Tourism) on 21-10-2022 before the Internal complaint committee / Grievances Redressal Cell and Gender Sensitization Committee against Sexual Harassment of the college with the allegations that “he is behaving inappropriately and sending inappropriate messages to them supported by the documentary evidence.”

“…keeping in view the seriousness of the issue an urgent meeting to discuss the future course of action in the matter was convened under the chairmanship of the Principal, GCW, Nawakdal; and…Internal Complaint Committee of the College in its inquiry report has submitted that the allegations are prima facie verified.”

The Government said that an explanation was sought from Dr Rafiq Peerzada, Associate Professor…with regard to the charges levelled against him and he has submitted his written apology to the Principal, GCW, Nawakadal, Srinagar.

“…Dr. Rafiq Peerzada, Associate Professor (Travel St Tourism) GCW, Nawakadal, Srinagar has been debarred from all the committees of the college to ensure minimal contact with students and…students are not satisfied with the written apology submitted and demanded strict action against the accused.

Read Aslo  SSM College of Engineering Celebrates International Women's Day with Girl orphanage and women Achievers of the State

The Govt stated that the Director Colleges, J&K submitted the action taken report to the Administrative Department on the complaint.

“Now, therefore, keeping in view the findings of the internal Complaint Committee/ Grievances Redressal Cell and Gender Sensitization Committee against Sexual Harassment of the college and the recommendations of Director Colleges MK, Dr Rafiq Peerzada Associate Professor (Travel & Tourism) is placed under suspension with immediate effect.”

The officer, the Government said, shall remain attached in the office of the Director colleges, J&K during his period of suspension.

Further, Director Colleges, J&K has been directed to serve a charge sheet with articles of charges to the officer and conduct a detailed enquiry and co-opt an independent lady member to conclude the inquiry. “The enquiry report shall be submitted to this office within 15 days.”

Kashmir University declares 6th Semester results for Regular and Backlog Batches, Check Here

Recuriment District Social Welfare 2023 Jobs – Check Here

Latest from Kashmir