Jammu and Kashmir State Board Of School Education
JK Student News
Unit 1:- Light- Reflection and Refraction Marks 08
Reflection of light, spherical mirrors; image formation; use of spherical mirrors.
Sign conventions for spherical mirrors; relation between focal length and radius of curvature;
mirror formula (only relation) (Numerical Problems); magnification.
Refraction of light, refraction through a glass slab, refractive index, Conditions for no refraction.
Spherical lenses, image formation, sign conventions, lens formula (only relation) (Numerical
Problems), Magnification (Numerical Problems), Power of a lens (Numerical Problems).
Unit 2: The Human Eye and the Colorful World Marks 05
Human eye; power of accommodation; defects of vision and their correction.
Glass prism (refraction and dispersion).
Atmospheric refraction – twinkling of stars and color of sun at sunrise and sunset.
Unit 3 :-Electricity Marks 06
Concept of electric charge;
Electric current; electric potential and potential difference;
Ohm’s law and experimental verification ; resistance and its dependence; combination of resistances
(series and parallel) (Numerical Problems)
Heating effect of current – Electric power and energy (Numerical Problems)
Unit 4: Magnetic Effects of Current Marks 04
Orested Experiment; Magnetic field and field lines.
Magnetic field due to a current carrying current – Straight, coil (loop) and solenoid (qualitative
Force on a current carrying conductor in a magnetic field.
Electric Motor; Domestic electric circuits.
Unit 5:Sources of Energy Marks 03
Various sources of energy; conventional sources of energy; improvement in technology for using
conventional source of energy (Biomass and wind energy).
Non- conventional sources of energy (Solar energy, Energy from sea).
Nuclear energy (Nuclear fusion and nuclear fissions).
Lasting of energy sources.
SECTION – II (CHEMISTRY)
Unit 1: Chemical Reactions and Equation Marks 05
Chemical equation, writing of chemical equation; Balancing chemical equations.
Types of chemical reactions, viz. Combination reactions; Decomposition reactions; Displacement
reactions; Double displacement reactions; Oxidation and reduction.
Effects of oxidation and reduction reactions in everyday life, viz, corrosion and rancidity.
Unit 2: Periodic Classification of Elements Marks 04
Early attempts regarding classification of elements; like Dobereiner’s triads, Newland’s law of
octaves (non evaluating).
Mandeleev’s periodic table, its achievements and limitations.
Modern periodic table; position of elements, trends in modern periodic table viz, Valency, Atomic
size, Metallic and non- metallic properties.
Unit 3:- Carbon and its Compounds Marks 06
Bonding in Carbon, Covalent bond, Allotropes of carbon;
Versatile nature of carbon; Saturated and unsaturated hydrocarbons; chains; branches and rings,
homologous series and its characteristics; nomenclature of Carbon compounds.
Chemical properties of carbon compounds viz. combustion; oxidation; addition and substitution
Important Carbon compounds like Ethane and Ethanoic acid Properties of Ethanol and Ethanoic
Soaps and Detergents.
Unit 4: Metals and Non metals Marks 06
Physical prosperities of metals and non- metals.
Chemical properties of metals like action of water, air, acids, salts; Reactivity series of metals.
Cause of reactivity of metals and non- metals.Properties of Ionic compounds.
Occurrence of metals; their extraction, enrichment of ores. Extraction of metals in accordance
with activity series; refining of metals.
Corrosion of metals and its prevention.
Unit 5: Acids, Bases and Salts Marks 05
Idea about acids and bases; chemical properties of acids and bases viz. Action of metals, metal
carbonates, metal hydrogen carbonates (only in case of acids), metallic acids; non- metallic acids
Similarities in acids and bases; reaction of acids and bases with water.
Strength of acid and base solutions; pH, its importance.
Idea of salts, their family and pH.Chemicals from common salts like Sodium hydroxide, Baking
soda and Washing soda; Hydrated salts, Plaster of Paris.
SECTION – III (BIOLOGY)
Unit I: – Life Processes Marks 7
• What are life Processes?
• Nutrition – Autotrophic Nutrition, Heterotrophic Nutrition. How do animals obtain their nutrition?
Nutrition in Human beings.
• Transportation: Transportation in Plants.
• Excretion: Excretion in Human beings, Excretion in Plants.
Unit II:- Control and Co-ordination Marks 4
• Animals – Nervous System, What happens in Reflex Action? Human Brain; How are these tissues
protected? How does Nervous tissue cause action?
• Coordination in Plants, immediate response to stimulus, movements due to growth.
• Hormones in Animals.
Unit III:- How do Organism Reproduce Marks 5
• Do organisms create exact copies of themselves? The importance of variation.
• Modes of reproduction used by unicellular organisms. Fission. Fragmentation, Regeneration.
Vegetative Propagation, Budding, Spore Formation.
• Sexual Reproduction: Why the sexual mode of reproduction? Sexual reproduction in flowering
plants, Reproduction in human Beings. Male Reproductive System, Female Reproductive System.
What happens when the egg is not fertilized? Reproductive Health.
Unit IV: Heredity and Genetics Marks 4
• Accumulation of variation during reproduction.
• Heredity: Inherited traits, Rules for the interitance of traits, Mendel’s contribution. How do these
traits get expressed? Sex determination.
• Acquired and Inherited traits.
• Classification, tracing evolutionary relationships, fossils, evolution by stages. Evolution should
not be equated with progress.
Unit V:- Our Environment Marks 4
• What happens when we add our waste to the Environment?
• Ecosystem – What are its components? Food chains and Webs.
• How do our activities effect the environment? Ozone layer and how it is getting depleted. Managing
the garbage we produce.
Unit VI:- Management of Natural Resources Marks 4
• Why do we need to Manage our Resources?
• Forests and Wild life, Stake holders, Sustainable Management, Dams, Water harvesting. Coal and
• An overview of Natural Resources Management.
JK Student News Is of the best news portal in Jammu and Kashmir Breaking News, Politics, Public Issues, Current affairs,Results, Datesheet,Notification.